Wellington is a city in Carbon County, Utah, United States. The community was settled in 1878 by a band of thirteen Mormons led by Jefferson Tidwell. The town was named for Justus Wellington Seeley, Jr., of the Emery County Court. Many residents commute to nearby Price for their jobs, or work in one of the various coal mines in the area. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.5 Square miles (9.1 Square kilometer), all of it land.