Visit USA - America's Best Travel Guide

  •  
    Hotel
  •  
    Flight
  •  
    Vacation
  •  
    Car
Pittsburgh

Mellon Park

Mellon Park is a park in the Shadyside and Point Breeze neighborhoods of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, at the corner of Fifth and Shady Avenues, beside the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts building. The park is home to the Walled Garden, and holds events throughout the year. It is also home to several recreational facilities. A number of public buses serve the area. The park is on the list of landmarks recognized by the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation (PHLF).

The park was established in 1943, on the grounds of the former estate of Richard B. Mellon. His was the largest mansion in Pittsburgh. The gardens were originally designed in 1912 by Alden and Harlow. Several other architects added their own touch to the landscape including the Olmsted Brothers and some seventeen years after the garden began, Vitale and Geiffert. After Mellon's sixty-room home was brought down during World War II, most of the garden still remained and was transformed to and from a City park, into today's Mellon Park. Within the park resides the Phipps Garden Center and Pittsburgh Center for the Arts.