Also known as First Confederate Capitol the structure is located on Goat Hill in Montgomery. The first Capitol building of 1847 got destroyed by fire in 1849. The current State Capitol was built on the previous Capitol's foundations to be completed in 1851. The building has grown over time with an east wing added to the buildings rear in 1885, a south wing in 1906 and a matching north wing in 1912. A complete renovation of the entire building was done in 1992. The building is in the Greek Revival style and is known for its distinctive spiral staircase. The rotunda is decorated with painted murals depicting Alabama's history. The areas opened to tourists include the entry foyer with twin opposing stairwells, old Governors Office, old State Supreme Court and old Supreme Court Library, Rotunda, old House of Representatives and old Senate Chamber. The building and grounds are maintained by Alabama Historical Commission.