St Bernard de Clairvaux Church

Share
The Monastery of St. Bernard de Clairvaux, one of the most beautiful buildings in Miami, Florida, was built in Sacramenia, in the Province of Segovia, Spain in the 12th century. Cistercian monks occupied the monastery for nearly 700 years, until 1925, when William Randolph Hearst purchased the Cloisters and the monastery's outbuildings. The church was dismantled and shipped to the United States, where a run of bad luck, including a period of quarantine, mixed up boxes and Hearst’s financial woes kept the church from being rebuilt for 26 years.

In 1964, Bishop Henry Louttit purchased the property for the Diocese of South Florida. Multimillionaire philanthropist Col. Robert Pentland, JR purchased the Cloisters and presented them to the parish of St. Bernard de Clairvaux. The Church of St. Bernard de Clairvaux was renamed in honor of the great Saint who had been a respected spiritual leader of the Cistercians 847 years ago. The saint’s feast day is commemorated on August 20th.